Friday, February 26, 2010

Food Truck Virgin No More






















My very FIRST food truck experience in Los Angeles! 

Last night, while I was writing the post about wanting to try some food trucks, I happened to see that the Sweets Truck was going to be at the apartments right next to my work today! And, at precisely 1pm, when I went outside, there they were! They were actually parked in the driveway of the apts, probably trying to catch some shade so their goodies won't melt.




There were 2 other guy already ordering when I walked up to the truck. They took a long time deciding what to get but that was ok because it gave me time to check out the 'menu'. DAM, expensive! It was like $3.25 for a dinky cupcake and $2.50 for a small chocolate cookie. But since I was determined to try something (and it was Friday) I decided to go with the Red Velvet cake.

 

It definitely was a small portion for the $2.00 I paid for it, but I got the souvenir I was looking for. I decided to savor it after I got back from my usual Taco Smell lunch with my coworkers. Because it sat for a while, the oil, *ahem... I mean tastiness, started to bleed through the wax paper and brown baggie. No biggie. I grabbed a plastic fork from the office and began to chow down.

  

The cake was very moist and sweet and I, surprisingly, didn't notice that familiar red dye taste that Red Velvet is known for. The inner frosting, most likely a cream cheese based spread, was luscious and paired perfectly with the two rounds of cake. It only took 5 or so bites to finish off my little desert but it kept me satisfied for the remainder of the day. 

While I admit it was a very good treat and especially fit for a hard working Friday, I don't think it was 'the best thing I've ever had'. I mean, the Red Velvet Cupcakes I made for my mom were definitely on par with these from the Sweets Truck. Still, I am looking forward to my next truck experience with have high hopes and expectations. 

Anyone else ever try the Sweets Truck?

1 comment: