Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Mochi Weekend

What hits the spots on a dreary weekend?

MOCHI!

Come on people. Get back to your Japanese roots and head on down to Japantown and grab yourself some mochi. Jenna and I drove down to downtown LA yesterday to walk around and feed our mochi fix. I forget the name of the little shop, but they sells lotsa different kinds of mochi and they're conveniently located a couple doors down from Daikokuya! So after you down your bowl of spicy hot ramen, walk on over and get yourself a mochi desert.
















This is our spread. I think around $1 each.

Even though I wanted to instantly dig into them as soon as we bought them, we decided to keep them bagged up and walk around Japantown. We walked over to a small super market and bought seaweed salad, an unagi sushi roll and some rice crackers. Spending the $10 allowed us to get our parking ticket validated. Then we trotted over to the new yogurtland which was only $0.30/oz. Cheap is good.

















Super creative and artsy.






















This was a green tea mochi with kinako on it! YUM! Reminded me of the ones my family makes for New Years.






















This one was baked I think because it was bready and was filled a ton of whole red beans. Very unique and definitely one of my favorite out of the bunch.





















Mango flavored with white bean paste inside. Many of the shop's mochi's featured little jelly flowers on top. A nice touch if I say so myself.





















This one was orange flavored and quite tasty. Had much more of a fruity flavor than the mango one.






















OOO. Probably the best looking one and most interesting tasting. It was a regular mochi with white bean inside but covered with a jelly thingy and it had a flower on top! All that design on a piece of desert that smaller than the palm of my hand. Cool. One of Jenna's favorites.

All this sugar was probably (ok, is definitely) not too great for the body. What ya need is something to wash it all down and help regulate your body. For me, I have my go-to drink on hand just for times like this. I won't reveal the name of it cuz it's kinda embarrassing but I'll show you a picture.

















P.S. Hi Cindy! Thanks for reading. Anything you wanna request?

No comments:

Post a Comment