Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wish I were more Incredible

For our 2010 New Years party, we donned Pixar/Disney costumes to make things more interesting. Jenna and I chose to be one of the most powerful couples in the Pixar family: Mr. and Mrs. Incredible. We had shirts (at least Jenna had hers) and figured we could scrounge up some heroic tights. That meant we only needed a couple items to complete our alter-egos: Mask, gloves and belt! That should have been easy enough to find or, if you're crazy like me, make. Little did I know that gloves would be super tricky and sewing each individual finger BY HAND is a pain in the ass! I've sewn a jean jacket before (don't judge) and figured that these smaller items should be just as easy. T'was not....



























Here is a full view of my FIRST glove before it's turned inside out. Here's a little tip for those of you trying to recreate this feat: When measuring your hand/fingers for the pattern, leave a good 1/4-1/2 inch of room around each digit so you have some breathing room when you're sewing. I learned this the hard way and had skin skin skin tight gloves. Luckily, the velour material had a tiny bit of give.

















Close up of the ugly made fingers.




















Here's the mask. It was pretty tricky to make the nose part but with my SUPER designing skills (the power I posses before I transform into Mr. Incredible) I knocked it out seamlessly. And because I wasn't satisfied by the finished look, I added a layer of the velour material over the top to match the feel of the gloves. Ingenious, if I may say so myself.

And the final product! --->



























And just because I don't look quite incredible enough... here's what I'm really supposed to look like:

No comments:

Post a Comment