Sunday, January 10, 2010

Just can't stomach it

Last night, Jenna and I went out to downtown LA hoping to go back to this Mexican restaurant that jenna ate at a few weeks ago. Little did we know that the place closes at 7pm. Luckily, we had the trusty iphone handy and could yelp another nearby Mexican restaurant. She scrolled down the list and found El Tepeyac! We had to go there. Being featured on Man V Food gave me a great preview of the deliciousness that we were about to encounter.

It was about 7:30pm and there was already a line out the door. There also a side area where you could order to go but we wanted the full experience and decided to bear the wait. Within maybe 20 mins, we got our counter-side seats and were eagerly browsing the menu. I was aware of the Manuel Special challenge from the MvF show but knew there was no way i could tackle that monstrosity. A 5 lb mountain of a burrito smothered in cheese and green chili was way too much for me to stomach. However, we did get to preview the burrito boat while waiting for our dishes... It was the stuff of legends. As it was brought out through the dining area, everyone stopped eating to gawk at the giant meal. I badly wanted to take a picture but wouldn't dare. Here's a reasonable equivalent of what i saw:

















Crazy, i know. I don't think I could have even done the challenge when I was fat! Just too much burrito for one man. On the menu, the Manuel Special is recommended for 2-4 people! That's enough food for a family of 4!!

If you can successfully take down the beast, you'll receive this all new prize!



























Anyways, we thoroughly enjoyed our own smaller, but equally delicious dishes. Jenna had a chicken taco and a cheese enchilada while I had their famous Chili Verde smothered over their deep fried pork.






































El Tepeyac was great experience and I'm glad we finally got the chance to go. That means i can cross off another food joint from my yelp list and only have one more place to go to retrace MvF's path through LA dining.

Langers, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment