Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Being Japanese is Awesome!

There are 3 reasons why I love New Years:






1. I get to see my family and friends and become the human jungle gym for my little cousins.














2. You get time off from work/school!








3. And best of all....Because of all the delicious food!

Her are some pictures of 'traditional' japanese new years food made from a white Jewish guy! My one suggestion if you're ever joining us for the new year celebration: be one of the first ones in line. I know you'll feel bad for messing up the presentation of the food... but the line builds up like you're waiting for cookies at Diddy Riese!



I forget the names of all these things... They're mostly roots and weird fishy paste items. Oh, and the tied up rolls in the front are seaweed.



'Traditional' sushi platter. Compliments of Costco? Safeway?


Oooh, gotta love the Char sui in the front. The yellow stuff is Kamaboko. The green stuff is pickled cucumber. The back sushi is not my favorite therefore I don't remember the name. To the left is blood oranges and more roots.



Now this is the part of the table where I live! Assorted color mochi with red bean in the back whereas you have white mochi with peanut butter in the front. A little known fact that I learned this year: apparently the peanut butter is not sweet enough by itself, so my aunt adds a healthy dose of brown sugar to the mix. On the right are brownies of some sort... not very popular.



Another view of the roots/seaweed. In the front are the ribs (which always fool me with the little amounts of meat that are actually present) and tuna/salmon sashimi. In the back are more vegi/bean/sprout fillers... not interested! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment