Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bro Time





















This past weekend I drove down to Sunny San Diego for some quality time with the little bro. I tried to leave LA as early as possible on Saturday morning but inevitably ran into some traffic. Here's where I do a little plug for my iphone: Using my handy-dandy google map, I was able to find an alternate route around the bumper to bumper mess on I-5. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy and I was back to cruising at 75 mph.

I arrived at Jeff's place around 12 noon and was surprised to see that the apartment was not a complete horror scene. It was actually a lot cleaner than the last time I visited.Of course, Jeff's room was the cleanest and I was glad to spend most of my time in there. We watched a little college bball and then decided to start our day off by driving down to the border (not Taco Bell) with one of his roommates to check out this Nike outlet Jeff had found.

BIG MISTAKE!

Either it was some sort of Mexican holiday or people were frantically trying to flee from the US like there was an epidemic! CRAZINESS at the border I tell ya! I swear there were thousands and thousands of cars packed with angry people trying to jam their way through the 4 lanes entering into Mexico. People were driving on the sides of the roads, cutting people off and one guy was even using his own car to PUSH his buddy's car that had somehow stopped running. It was like being back in Vietnam where there's virtually no car lanes and its a free-for-all for the vehicles.

After about 25 minutes just trying to get off the freeway, on an exit labeled "The Last US Exit", we finally arrived at the Nike outlet. I was surprised at how nice the store was and how they had a great assortment of deals and shoes. We browsed for a while, oogling the low prices and cheap clothes. Luckily, I escaped without buying anything.


















Apparently this is the next shoe in Nike's Hyper-line.

On Sunday, Jeff and I went to this huge Swap Meet at San Diego's Sports Arena. There was a $1 entrance fee but you could definitely spend ALLLLL day there browsing peoples junk from their garages. We really wanted to buy some cool war vet medals and other war documents that were probably worth lotsa money... but we didn't. We also really wanted to eat some Phil's BBQ, which was sold at the Swap Meet, but again, we resisted. In the end, we walked out of there with ZERO hidden treasures but nonetheless, the trip was worth our morning time.

Then we found this really cool Pet Store down the street.






















Even though it said Pet Store, it actually was more like an aquarium for RARE and SUPER EXPENSIVE fish and reptiles. They had a bunch of turtles and snakes and lizards and funky fishes. The best part came when the store mascot, the Rooster, came walking past us to gawk at one of the monitor lizards in his glass cage. It was hilarious watching the rooster stare and bob his head at the lizard, taunting him to try and eat him through the glass! Shoulda took a picture.


















Here's a really colorful Chameleon that we watched for a while because it looked like he was gonna go after some crickets.... but he didn't. His stupid eyes kept wandering in opposite directions so he probably didn't even see the crickets right in front of his face.






















These turtles were HUGE and I was really tempted to touch them. They had prices marked on their back and I there were all well over a couple hundred dollars each.

After our adventure, we headed back to Jeff's Apt to watch some college MARCH MADNESS and snack on spicy hot cheezz-its. Overall, a great weekend with some good quality time with my bro. Hopefully, I can go down more often (or visa versa) and we can hit the beaches as it starts getting hotter!

No comments:

Post a Comment