Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Eat to Live or Live to Eat

That's supposed to be the way things are done but I'm pretty sure my motto is more the latter....

However, I read some health/food article on either Yahoo or Men's Health (or maybe Jenna told me) and they were talking about what important foods men and women should be eating right now to stay healthy for the future. One of those foods was tomatoes because they're rich in lycopene which is supposed to help with prostate health! The article recommended that males eat at least 3-5 servings of tomatoes per week and said, "hey guys, that means go out and eat pizza." Well, I'm not gonna go do that but I will try to incorporate more lycopene into my diet.

Another food was watermelons. Watermelons are apparently a 'secret, underrated' super food and should be eaten frequently, especially by men. I think it also contains lycopene...

So anyways, I decided to take the internet's/Jenna's advice and went out and splurged on groceries this week.






















Here's a slice of the giganto watermelon that Jenna picked out last weekend. It is SUPER juicy and amazingly refreshing. A very fitting fruit to welcome the hotter weather down here in LA.


















I cut up the whole 16lb watermelon and filled up 3 tupperwear containers to store in the fridge. A side note: How come even when there's a sticker on the watermelon that says, "SEEDLESS", I found 399473 big black seeds in that thing!? False advertisement I tell ya.






















YUM.

So the watermelon was officially checked off my list and I was on to tomatoes. Today, I decided to go to Costco to buy just a few bulk items and sadly ended up leaving there with only a few items but a $60 receipt... :( Hopefully the 3lb bag of almonds and the $16 salmon will last me a while! I wanted to get Costco pizza (ya know, for the tomato sauce!) but the line was crazy long... Dam those Alhambra Asians for always flocking to Costco for a cheap lunch!

For dinner, I went with oven baked salmon with a side of sauted spinach. Where is the lycopene you ask? Well, gathering inspiration from Foodnetwork.com, I tossed in diced tomatoes, garlic and lemon juice into a foil pouch to keep the salmon company in the oven. And for the spinach, I combined garlic, onions and more diced tomatoes to the mixture that cooked on the stove. Here's some pics for your viewing pleasure!





Oh, btw, NOTHING smells better than sauted garlic and onions in a little EVOO!!















I added the spinach and waited for it to wilt.

















Then the tomatoes and a smidgen of seasonings.


























And here's the final product. I don't have a picture of the salmon pouch because it looked kinda gross.

Normally, I'm not a big tomato person (with the exception of Ketchup... I LOVE ketchup) this tomato infested meal was really really tasty! It did help that there was an abundant amount of garlic ;)

So all you guys out there, go eat your lycopene, fish and dark green vegis. You'll be thankful in about.... 30 years. Your prostate will thank you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment