Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tahoe Buffet

Last weekend, Jeff (my brother) and I had a basketball tournament in Tahoe! On Friday, we both flew up to the Oakland airport from our respective residences and then drove with the fam up to Tahoe that night. Now, basketball tournaments are fun for many reasons. Namely, we get to play together and have tons of fun with friends who we rarely see. Another great aspect of tournaments are that we get to have time with my parents, exploring the local area through their food and late night activities.... Ok, mainly just the food. Well in Tahoe (and Vegas) the best food is at the All You Can Eat Buffets!

Every year, we take our time to stand in line for the Harris Buffet which costs a hefty $30 per person! Because of that price, I make sure to eat my moneys worth and encourage others to do the same. I may not be as big as I once was back in the day but I can still put it down at a Buffet. And there's always a technique and certain procedure to get the most out of your buffet experience.

-Go for the expensive meats: Prime Rib, Filet Mignon etc. They're going to be the most expensive cuts and will probably taste the best!
-Skip the salads and carbs: You don't wanna fill up your precious stomach space with lame items like lettuce or bread sticks. Only turn to these things if you're really feeling the effects of the meat sweats.
-Eat fast and keep moving back to the buffet lines: I, unfortunately, take after my father and tend to eat my meals really, REALLY fast. Because of this, I don't feel the effects of eating food until much later. But when that wall hits, it hits hard! (MVF!) In a buffet, I suppose this is a good thing because the faster you go, the more prime rib you can gobble up!
-Keep hydrated: I, myself, like to keep drinking lots of liquids with my solid foods. This is to make sure everything sloshes together nicely in my stomach.
-Lastly, Push yourself with a little competition with others at the table: My brother and I tried seeing who could eat more.






















This was my first plate. I know it looks empty but there was actually a load of about 8 sushi pieces which I ate while standing in the Prime Rib line!






















Jeff doin' work!






















My second plate with more prime rib and some vege's to cut the meatness in my belly! Not pictured are the scraps I picked off my mom's and brother's plates.






















Jeff's second plate(s) foolishly included miso soup and salad. Such a waste at a buffet.


















Dessert came early this night but the pumpkin pie was delicious! Not pictured is the ice cream with peanut butter M&Ms, cream puff, chocolate brownie, fruit tart and GIGANTO jug of milk!






















Jeff sneakily stole one of those fruit tarts to go and ate it later that night! Gross. He also ate more items that weren't pictured.

All in all, I think we did a good job getting our moneys worth without having to "pay" for it later that night. (not for too long that is..) The meats were delicious and tender but I won't be eating fist sized portions of bacon wrapper Filet Mignon for a loooooooooooong time!

Oh, and we won 3rd place in the tournament and I went almost 100% shooting... if the ball was ever passed... Poor Jeff came away with a displaced left thumb and almost no progress on his homework! haha. At least we got our buffet and a little souvenir from the power balance tent!


**Updated Thoughts**
I was really upset that there were NO cookies at this Buffet! No cookies and no Jello! Those 2 things should be standard at all Buffets. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment