Monday, July 19, 2010

Heating UP

OH Man... LA is sure getting hot. Even though I no longer get an 'official' summer anymore, there was no mistaking that summer had officially arrived based on the TRIPLE digit temperatures last week and this past weekend. Here at the Bryan & Casey apt, we neglect to use our air conditioning in an attempt to save a little cash (and cuz we're asian) but, last week, as we sat, melting on the couch, there was no other choice but to create a little breeze. I mean... 5 days straight of 98+ degree days is no fun. I was so drained and lazy by the time I go home from work that I would skip the gym and trick myself into thinking that I was losing weight by just sweating in my room!

Luckily, this week, temperatures are cooling down and by next weekend, I'll be BBQing on the beaches in Santa Barbara, probably wearing a sweatshirt!

However, let me share some events that occurred over the past few HOT days.

















On Saturday, Jenna and I were rudely awake at 7am by the scorching LA heat and the blinding light shining through my window shades. I swear, most times, its like my blinds aren't even there.... I WILL be buying a large sheet/blanket to cover the window.

Since we were already up and couldn't possibly fall back asleep, we decided to head to the beach. We had already planned on going but not as early as 9am! Good thing we did go early because by 10am, Manhatten Beach was already packed with rainbow colored umbrellas and pasty-skinned people looking to get their first taste of the sun.

















We haven't been to many LA beaches yet, but Manhatten is by far, one of the nicest. I'm very very jealous of the people who get to live in those beachside apartments. One day we will own one! (......)

















Jenna mostly stayed on the sand and tanned her already bronzed body. Meanwhile, I took every opportunity possible to body surf in the cool ocean water! If you've never tried body surfing, it is the most fun/cheap thing to do at the beach. There is no gear necessary and you just gotta know how to swim. My brother and I will do this for hours on end when we're on vacation in Hawaii with our family. Of course, this time, I was body surfing all by myself but no worries: I'm good at keeping myself entertained. haha.

Another reason I spent so much time in the water was that I couldn't bear listening to the stupid conversation of the people around us! There was this group of blond girls and guys sitting near us that coulda really been the real life version of the hills! As they were applying their sunscreen, we overheard their intelligent conversation about reapplication times.

Dude: "How often are you supposed to reapply sunscreen?"
Blond Girl #1: "Ummm... I heard that depending on what number is on the bottle is how often you're supposed to reapply. So since we have SPF 70, you have to put it on every 70 minutes."
Blond Girl #2: "Actually i think that you're supposed to times that number by 10 and thats how many hours youre supposed to wait to reapply again. So 70 times 10 is...."
.........long pause........
Still, no one from the group of TEN!! has responded.....
Dude #2: "So...every 700 hours?"
Blond Girl #2: "No, that can't be right. It must be 700 minutes..."

And with that... I could no longer take it and had to run into the water! hahhaah.






















After working up an appetite, Jenna and I yelped the nearest/highest rated sandwich shop around. We found Sandos Sub Shop only a mile down from the pier where we were swimming. It was just a tiny hole-in-the-wall spot where you pretty much have to always eat TO GO because there's no room inside. The joint has been featured in the Los Angeles magazine as one of the top sandwich spots to visit in all of LA.






















I forget the name of Jenna's sandwich but it was an amazing blend of chicken, bacon, avocado and other stuff. Oh, and up above that picture, are the homemade potato chips that Sandos is pretty famous for. They were thick but not too crispy and a really great side for our sandwiches.






















I got the Turkey Rosecransberry sandwich which was turkey with sprouts and cheese and cranberry sauce! Also very gooooood. We decided to eat on a bench near the beach and got many stares from passerbys. One couple even stopped to ask us where we got the sandwiches because they thought they looked THAT good. Unfortunately, Jenna and I couldn't remember the name OR the street on which it was on. haha. We just pointed in the general direction.

The reason why we opted for sandwiches for lunch was because we knew we were gonna be splurging for dinner. My friends Cindy, Shar and Cynthia were coming down to LA for the weekend and would be staying at the 4 Seasons in Beverly Hills. We decided to all eat at the 4 Seasons hotel restaurant because Shar, who works for 4 Seasons in the Bay Area, got us 50% off of our bill! ONE MORE THING....

The room that the 3 of them were staying in was priced at $1050 a night!?!?!?! And they were paying NOTHING! haha Dam Shar, you sure have awesome job perks! I mean.... who can afford to pay $1050/night for a hotel room?! That's almost an entire month and a half of rent in Jenna's one bedroom apartment! I may get free jellybeans but I'd trade for a free suite in Hawaii at a 4 star hotel anyday!






















Here is the lobby of the 4 seasons and their beautiful display of flowers in vases filled with lemons. I really felt obliged to steal one of these vases just because they were charging so much money for people to stay there! They shoulda been complementary! Alas, I settled for a couple small apples that were in little dishes around the lobby.






















For dinner, I had the Pork done 3 Ways. For a fancy restaurant and a dish at a regular price of $34, the portions were pretty generous and my belly was fully satisfied. I guess we also did get some scrumptious bread as well as macaroons for dessert! To go with my pork, I had a glass of the merlot which was very dry but tasted excellent with my meat.

Jenna had this GIANT hunk of salmon that was perfectly cooked and combined it with a glass of white wine. Both dinners were great selections.

After dinner, we decided to go to Busby's and get our groove on. Little did we know that it was apparently Asian night at Busbys and that we'd have to fight for space on the dance floor for the whole time! I think the only dance move you could have performed would be a box out like in basketball! Craziness mixed with a whole lotta drunk people and a lot of sweat. ugh.

All in all, a great event filled weekend that seemed way to short. I'm looking forward to a cooler weathered work week as well as a relaxing uneventful next weekend with Jenna in SB!

No comments:

Post a Comment